Both the nature and human beings are made for each other. They play pivotal roles in complementing each other’s existence. Human beings are completely depended on the nature for fulfilling their needs. Mother Nature has given them fresh air, fruits, crude oil, gas, minerals and several other things that are mandatory for their survival.
As we are chasing the progress and development, the scenario is changing fast. Our needs are growing massively and resource required for fulfilling those are reducing at a rapid pace. The matter of concern is that the population is rising tremendously, resources are lacking and we are still unable to find suitable as well as stable alternatives.
Environmental awareness has become highly significant these days and youngsters are in better condition to understand the seriousness of the matter. We should make our children vigilant and encourage them being more sustainable toward nature. They must be aware of the following facts:
- Renewable and Non-Renewable Resources: What are the renewable and non-renewable sources of energy available on the earth?
- Best Uses of Resources: How to make the best use of natural resources and find out stable alternatives?
- Global Warming: What is global warming and how it is affecting our environment?
- Organic Foods: Importance of organic foods as well as organic farming.
- Ecological Footprints: Hazards of ecological footprints and how to minimize those
- Fair Trade: Fair trade and the products related to it.
- Environmental Degradation: Best ways to stop or minimize the environmental degradation.
Importance of Gardening: The best way to teach sustainability to children is to cultivate nature-friendly habits in them. We should encourage them to plant more and more trees in order to maintain the level of equilibrium or ecological balance. If vacant garden or land is not available for this purpose, then use pots to weed environment-friendly plants. Proper knowledge of eco-system and various important species of plant will create a remarkable difference.
Importance of Handicrafts and Composting: There is a proverb that ‘habit is the second nature’. We must make our children aware of the importance of handicrafts for keeping up a healthy environment. We should also encourage their involvement in creating handicrafts and other recycling activities. It is also important to teach your children about the importance of compost bins and how to dispose the garbage in an organic way. One lesson of responsibility at present will take your children to a bright new future.